There is no universal definition of visual art. However, there is a consensus that art is the conscious creation of something beautiful by using skill and intelligence. The term “art” is related to the Latin word “ars” that means art, craft or profession.
Art consists of paintings, sculpture and other pictures or objects which are created for people to look at and admire or think genuinely about. At university or college, art is a subject of history, literature in contrast to scientific questions.
People have a different experience with art because it functions on different levels. Alain De Botton and John Armstrong define the standards of art into seven roles- Hope, memory, sorrow, Re-balancing, Growth, Appreciation, and self-understanding.
Importance of Art in Our life
- With all these seven levels, there is a huge impact of art in our lives. That makes it very important, some of the main reasons is giving below:
- Arts help you to improve your creativity skills where it is painting, writing, cooking, or singing.
- The most important thing you get from art is your happiness. When you do your favourite activity, you love to do it and get the smile every time.
- You may not believe it, but it is the fact that art relieves your stress.
- When you follow your passion, you get an opportunity to show your talent and earn appreciation.
- Many painters use their talent to show their emotion, where they are happy, angry or sad.
- And, the best thing is that art presents the emotion, the fact and the feeling that words cannot say.
History of Art
The first known use of the “art” comes from 13th-century manuscripts. And, the oldest documented forms of arts which include images, paintings, sculpture, printmaking, photography, and other visual media from the Upper Palaeolithic dating to 40,000 years ago have been found, while the oldest art object in the world about 75,000 years old was found.
Various great traditions in art have a foundation in the art of great ancient civilisations like Egypt, Mesopotamia, India, China, Rome, Greece etc. Chinese art varied era to era and named after the ruling destiny, and Japan names its styles after imperials dynasties too.
After the 17th century, woodblock printing became important in Japan, which in the next century the western Age of Enlightenment saw artistic depictions of physical and rational certainties of the clockwork universe.
The narration of the history of twentieth-century is endless possibility and discovery for new standards, each being down in succession by the latest one.
The role of art is significant for society and in our lives. In peaceful means, we can say that art conveys the full spectrum of the human experience.